Citizens coming from certain countries are allowed entry and stay in Vietnam in a limited time without having to apply for a Vietnam visa. These are citizens from countries which have signed a bilateral or unilateral visa exemption agreement with Vietnam.
If you are going to enter Vietnam with visa exemption, eligible travellers need to ensure:
- Your passport is valid for at least 6 months from the day you enter Vietnam.
- Your passport have at least two blank pages
Which countries are exempt from Vietnam visa?
In January 2019, citizens from 24 countries below are exempted from Vietnam visa.
|Country||Maximum stay||Conditions (if any)|
|Chile||90 days||For tourist visa only|
|Denmark||15 days||Temporarily suspended due to COVID 19|
|Finland||15 days||Temporarily suspended due to COVID 19|
|France||15 days||Temporarily suspended due to COVID 19|
|Germany||15 days||Temporarily suspended due to COVID 19|
|Italy||15 days||Temporarily suspended due to COVID 19|
|Norway||15 days||Temporarily suspended due to COVID 19|
|South Korea||15 days||Temporarily suspended due to COVID 19|
|Spain||15 days||Temporarily suspended due to COVID 19|
|Sweden||15 days||Temporarily suspended due to COVID 19|
|United Kingdom||15 days||Temporarily suspended due to COVID 19|
The visa exemption table above (updated on 11/03/2020) is only for reference as some information may not be the most up-to-date. Please contact us or the Vietnam embassy in your country before exiting.
- Foreigners or Vietnamese hold foreign passports may enter, reside, and exit from Phu Quoc Island are exempt from Vietnam visa within 30 days.
- Those who have APEC Business Travel Cards (ABTC) with valid passports are exempted from entry visas and can stay in Vietnam within 60 days.
- Overseas Vietnamese, husband, wife, children of overseas Vietnamese or Vietnamese residing in Vietnam are exempted from visa within 5 years.
Frequently asked questions
Vietnam visa exemption for British comes to Vietnam 2 times within 30 days?
Q: I am British. I will enter Vietnam twice in 30 days. The first time I come to Vietnam, I will be exempted from the Vietnam visa. So am I exempted from a Vietnam visa for the second time?
A: No. In case you are exempted from the Vietnam visa for the first time, if you come back to Vietnam for the second time within 30 days from the day you exit, you have to apply for a Vietnam visa.
Conditions for Vietnam visa exemption?
If you come from countries which are exempted from Vietnam visa (except for 5-year visa exemption), you need to ensure your passport is valid for at least 6 month and has two blank pages. After that, you just bring your passport to the Vietnam border checkpoint.